Sunday, October 18, 2015

Grand Budapest Hotel Screening

I am happy and excited to discover LCA's film society show a film in the lecture theatre every Friday, which is amazing especially as I haven't been watching any TV or many films since i've been here and this is a nice, cost free evening to go with people off other courses/meet others without being in a pub or bar.

Since I moved here I have heard a lot about Wes Anderson films, and even by looking at the Moonrise Kingdom movie poster I can see why creatives are drawn to his movies and understood it must be the way it is art directed, so I was really excited to see this film on the big screen.

As soon as it began I could see he directs in a way that is quick, straight to the point, snapshots/zoom in's within a massive, colourful, larger picture, mostly in this film focusing on the interior design and windows. There were many quick angle adjustments and the dialogue was very quick and straight to the point which I enjoy as you can get in to the film straight away.

The story itself isn't extraordinary to me but because of the eye popping colour schemes and other worldly aesthetics changing from shot to shot, I couldn't take my eyes away from the screen! It just shows any story can be made heard just by the way it is presented. It reminded me of the Coral rebranding, my dread of redesigning for the company that didn't interest me at all but then seeing the hand wrendered new typeface, and actually being really happy with the end idea!

Certain shots that stand out to me are the past pastel pink interior design when they go back in time, the mendl's boxes (the colour scheme/typography varying through each chapter really stood out to me), the running silhouettes in the night and the fiery oranges seen in various scenes- kind of reminded me of some of the styles in the shining/clockwork orange?

Having this every Friday will be a great way to tune out from the busy week and get in to the weekend mood with having much to think about the films I'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment