Tuesday, May 1, 2018

CV and portfolio feedback from Darren at CharacterCreative

CV:  great that it's a single page but you could definitely tighten it up a bit.
- try lowering the point size of your body copy and increasing your margins - it'll let it breathe a bit more.
- consider flipping to 'landscape'. 9 times out of 10 it'll be viewing on a screen, so make the most of the real estate you've got. 
- create a template and/or grid that you can carry through to your work samples.
- if you're struggling for ideas, go look at: http://cvparade.com/ for some inspiration.


Very useful feedback- I have made text smaller and added self branding to go with my brand identity. I was unsure about making it landscape as I haven't really seen this before but I will consider it in the future.


Samples: stop sending single files - wrap them all up in a single PDF file (ideally with your CV as the front page).

- create a 'template' for showcasing your work. That way you're demonstrating versatility whilst also building something cohesive. 
- show me something with commercial value. Idea generation, 'student briefs' are great but I want to see examples of things that'll work in the real world.
- if you've not got that, revisit old D&AD or YCN student briefs and do them off your own back.
- build case studies. I want to know what the problem was, your thought process, how you solved it and the execution(s).

I have really struggled with making my combined PDF smaller and need to learn how to do this. I think reducing the original file sizes will help and I am going to do this. Also I do need to add case studies, especially to my website but just wanted to ensure I was focusing on finishing my degree and then when I finish I want time to apply for jobs more vigorously and update my website to the max, with everything finished.



For greater depth, you might like to read some of my past blog posts:


I hope that helps and do keep in touch - I'm super interested to see how you get on. :)

I will now edit and adjust my CV as the text is a bit crowded. I haven't heard of CV'S being landscape but this would be an easier way for employers to read my CV and make it less crowded! Also allowing more space for personal branding which I need to include.From this feedback, I am going to find a way of making a small enough good quality combined pdf to send off as I have struggled to make it smaller which is why I sent them as single files.

No comments:

Post a Comment