Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Love/hate relationship with screenprint

 >



i first went wrong with screenprint for being impatient and not being a perfectionist when it came to printing the pieces which really put me off doing screen print ever again, as well as complications and mistakes with learning how to use the screen and mine being taken playing a role. I realised after submission however that the underlying issue was that I wasn't designing the appropriate cover for my publication which brought down the entire publication, and could see clearly after submission when I wasn't clouded by stress and frustration how it could have been done successfully.

Although I said to myself I would avoid it at all costs as I enjoyed monoprint and linoprint which are methods not as popular- after visiting an exhibition focusing on music posters screenprinted, it reminded me of why screenprint is so popular and still is to do this day despite advancing digital options- the results are unique and beautiful, and I actually learnt how to screenprint through learning from mistakes from the first time round which was annoyingly beneficial, meaning this time round I was a lot less stressed and more willing to experiment with gradients and try different designs and colours.

It is often very hard to take multiple risks such as screenprint with my grades and confidence at stake but I have learnt from this that I am still learning and it was a benefit going through that at the beginning as from feedback, my west indian carnival piece is different and has captured the energy of the festival. I wasn't happy with many of my prints but I still aim to see this as decent progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment