Monday, May 8, 2017

End of module evaluation

The self discovery throughout PPP this year has been immense. The chance to select my own live briefs to work on and contact artists that inspire me every day has developed me as a designer, giving me chances to create work I wouldn't have imagined and showing me that at a professional level, the work is complex but so rewarding and different each time. Being reminded why I am here on this degree is such a positive.

The interview process was far less daunting than I had imagined- spurred on by the motivational lectures, I made lists of artists I wished to contact due to their more niche style I aspire to, and messaged all of them with no hesitance. the questions I asked were inspired by our talk with John and it was down to what I wanted to actually know and get an experienced honest answer from, such as working for clients and how they gained popularity for their designs. Getting 3 long interviews with 3 really individual artists of different sectors visually stimulating work that is related to or has inspired artworks which have been put as the poster side for my interview posters.

Within interviews I was completely myself, even though they were through email. I never want to appear non engaging and boring with my questions or presence as I feel this is forgettable, and as they were email interviews I wanted to make it seem as real and chatty as it would face to face. From talking about music to getting excited and inquisitive about information I had read about them through research. I gave all artists the choice of wether to meet/skype or email, and it was most appropriate for all of them to email which I adapted to for them and made my language as expressive as I could, in which I received warm responses from all 3!

I had planned a studio visit to a local one in Leeds city centre from meeting one half of the collective but due to conflicting schedules this had to be cancelled, but will be revisited. This module is ongoing and I will continue to visit events and document them, a lot more through photography hopefully although developing film isn't very cost efficient so it is quite slow paced for now!

As for the live briefs, the ones I chose had to be in an area I wanted to explore more or challenge myself to such as a campaign for Thirsty Planet which personally paid off and I am proud of the collection and the phrases I created. Collaboration is an aspect I want to dive in to a lot more, as this is present in the industry even more so. Collaborating with different courses is a goal of mine and is inspired by the discussions and momentum gained by being in my collective AWOL. Unfortunately, I didn't get to collaborate with a different course this year however the project was still a success, except I want to learn from other courses and combine completely different skill sets which may be more stressful but rewarding.

The fact most of the exhibitions I have been to have been underwhelming may just be down to me and my style, but I definitely can see why I enjoy combining styles and clashing colours, as a lot of more clinical toned down design does bore me if too predictable. I like to inject puns, humour, pattern, etc, which I found was also the case in the fine art exhibitions I have visited which is reassuring. The most enjoyable events have been ones not restricted to prints in a row on the wall, but that become an experience which is more valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment