Monday, March 14, 2016

Rebecca Smeyne and 'Age Of The Thing'

http://www.itsnicethat.com/articles/rebecca-smeyne-invite-only-140316

A photographer I discovered through 'It's Nice That', I feel she really captures an essence of the atmosphere and joy I want to allude through my self brandings celebratory dazzling essence.








In future it is possible I could put on an event if I become confident enough, and photograph in this style. I want my style of design to be placed in celebratory surroundings and make people talk which events/parties do, and makes people want to attend even if they aren't overly interested in graphic design. I feel this is one of the best ways to get your name heard and work noticed and remembered, and this reinforces why my self branding was produced as a party invitation and posters. Through the power of social media, happenings like these portrayed in Smeynes lively style entice people to want to know more, and her style inspired my photoshoot of my work.


I became extremely sure of my party invite theme especially after attending an exhibition photographed similarly of Smeynes style, curated by a fellow first year LCA student, named 'The Age of The Thing' by Hollie Grace Saint-Clarke, a fine art student. Invites sent out over Facebook on the event weeks before to ensure people saved the date, and her displaying of artwork became more of a party/experience. This was due to her amazing decorating of the room, entertainment, themed music and video compilation she put together. I had never been to an exhibition like it and as you can see from the photographs, the atmosphere she created in one room, due to the over the top glittering and lighting of the room, made it other worldly. Me and friends were actually buzzing coming out of the exhibition, taking glitter tassels from the exhibition itself which everybody had been dancing with all night. This feature was unintentionally interactive but because of the buzz of everybody in the room and the flamboyant music and style of the exhibit this happened naturally.

It was a completely unique experience successful due to its planning/curating and design transporting us all to another glamorous glittery drag world for an evening! I would want to be seen as an artist that gives this thrilling and invigorating feeling to people. Photography like this makes me happy seeing others in the moment having an amazing time and is one of my favourite inspirations and influences to be part of making the moments. This reinforces the impact the way work is presented is so important and makes all the difference.








My self-confidence really needs to go above and beyond submitting my work and posting it on Instagram I feel, to really succeed in this module at University. I need to let go of past events not going as planned and just try, otherwise I'll never know. This is really hard for me but hopefully I will overcome it, as I am here to grow and develop as a person as well as a designer.


No comments:

Post a Comment