Thursday, February 25, 2016

Study Task

I feel this is a really exciting study task as I enjoy making others feel good about themselves and weighing up their personality and characteristics visually!

"I want a brand that is manual but like modern but with newer influences" "I particularly enjoy print media" Design ideas I have initially coming to mind include having overlaying printed shapes representing the manual processes of screenprints/monoprints using manual set shapes that would be used in letterpress for example. The type of the brand can also be represented as letterpressed. Knowing Beth myself, I know she is very in to sketchbooks and the pages are always overflowing with mindmaps and ideas everywhere which could be an element drawn in. She also doodles type a lot!I see why she wants her branding to be manual and print media related as she is hands on before reaching for the Mac. Personally, unlike Beth I struggle handwrendering text the way I envision it! I began doodles that used the curls of her hair as detailing and it really wasn't working,
The idea was popping block text with hair features such as curls/headband to the bottom right...
I then decided I could use beautiful calligraphy fonts, but specifically with curled detail like she draws or very brush looking as she enjoys the practicality, 'manual', beginning aspects of design. These typefaces are very modern, 'newer influences' whereas using block type is old school. I will attempt this though as she enjoys print media.




Tilted representing her being a bit more quirky, not straight lined standard. She also was speaking of how she enjoyed Lord Whiteney's motto of 'connoisseurs of make-believe', and she is huge on clever concepts so this seemed the appropriate tagline!

No colours seem overly necessary or sprung to mind as a brand for Beth, which I think due to the calligraphy typefaces isn't missing as much and it is interesting for me to not work in colour as it is what I always jump to i feel! Despite this I had to try at least one, so I went for navy gradient as she is very formal and professional, and this coming across in your brand is essential if it is a big part of how you work. Has a subtle effect as still dark but gives the hint of professionalism as navy relates to education/businesses i'd say. Also still very clear to read. (Now aware I have spelt wrong and for final will be corrected)

Slab serif version doubled to give the impression of letter blocks using lilac detail which against a very light silvery grey, in its shape looks like a horizon/clouds with a stroke of femininity with the lilac.

No comments:

Post a Comment